Sunday, February 14, 2021

W-R-I-T-E for Each Other

 


 

W-R-I-T-E for Each Other -- 213 words

by Elizabeth Muster

Valentiny 2021



Zane the Zombie cut a heart from red construction paper. He smiled as he wrote the word “Happy.” He wrote V-A-L. Then he frowned. Did E come next or did I? Zane crumpled the heart and threw it away. 

“Why celebrate Valentine’s Day when your heart doesn’t beat?” a classmate asked. “Halloween is the only holiday for me.” 

But it was February 14, and Zane wanted Zelda to know how he felt. Zelda had pale skin and yellow eyes and smelled wonderfully of rotten meat. She was the best at scaring humans from the playground during recess. 

With a shaky hand, Zane made another heart. This time he wrote, “You look like death wormed over.” 

He was pleased until the classmate looked over Zane’s shoulder. “You didn’t even spell it right.” 

The words seemed to wriggle, and Zane couldn’t decide which one was misspelled. Bravely, he gave Zelda the valentine anyway.

“Thank you,” said Zelda. “I have a valentine for you too.”  The card read: You can’t scar me.

“It’s perfect,” said Zane. He and Zelda showed their valentines to the teacher.

“I think you two are just W-R-I-T-E for each other,” she said with a smile.

“What’s that spell?” asked Zane.

“Write,” said the teacher. 

“Right.” Zane smiled.

 “I agree,” said Zelda.


No comments:

Post a Comment