Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Just a Little Crush

My name is Elizabeth, and I am a Candy Crush addict. When I first saw people's posts about this app on Facebook, I swore I would never play something so silly (I did manage to avoid the Farmville craze after all). But now I am bragging about passed levels and begging for extra lives with the best of them.

I don't know why I'm telling you this, but I guess it's similar to cheating on a diet. For some reason when I confess that I just ate a cupcake I feel like said pastry suddenly lessened in calories. Maybe if I admit my mindless gaming addiction I will suddenly gain back some of the hours of summer vacation this teacher has already lost.

At least playing the game is easier on my waistline than eating cupcakes, but probably not on my eyesight. As it drains my iPad, so goes my mental and physical energy. (At least Words With Friends was somewhat intellectual, right?) However there is just something soothing about swiping those colorful shapes and creating patterns from the chromatic chaos. Plus now that I've gotten to the levels with the multiplying chocolate blocks, this chocoholic is starting to despise the brown stuff just a little. So that's got to be healthy, right?

But the longer I play, the more I start to wonder if this isn't part of some evil scheme to take over the world (or at least American 30-somethings) while we sit moving make-believe candies on our electronic devices. Is there some kind of subliminal message hidden behind those blue circles and green squares? If I wasn't too busy crushing imaginary candy, it would be an interesting story to write. Don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment